To those who know I am not eating meat, I wrote this some time back and never published it. Hope my meateating friends will enjoy it.
I love New Orleans inspired gumbo but I don’t eat pork and I am allergic to shrimp. I decided to make a seafood gumbo but I really wanted the sausage flavor. I thought what better to do than to try my hand at making andouille sausage with ground turkey.
I added these spices, compliments of allrecipes.com and the foodnetwork.com:Emerill Lagasse, to the ground turkey.
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 5 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes